You might be catering for slightly fewer people this year, but if you love hosting and don’t want to dial things back, we’ve got a string of treats for you to get stuck into preparing.
We don’t know about you, but we don’t want to dispense with adding a sense of occasion to the festivities just because there won’t be parties as large as usual. We’ve got a few ideas – see what you think!
Pigs in blankets are a festive staple, but if you want to diverge from this treat slightly, smoky cheese makes a really warming, rich snack. They can also be prepared up to two days ahead and kept covered in the fridge.
1. Heat oven to 180°C.
2. Carefully wrap the bacon around the cheese pieces (you may not need a full slice of pancetta for each piece of cheese, depending on the size). Can be done two days ahead and kept covered in the fridge.
3. Pop the rosemary sprigs on a baking tray and place the cheese in blankets on top.
4. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden and crispy. If you plan to serve immediately please be careful as they will be molten hot inside.
Looking for something a little decadent? These canapés are so easy to make but packed with flavour. These can also be made the day before.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and then heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the shallot with a pinch of salt. Allow the shallot to cook for a few minutes until they’re soft. Crush the garlic and then add it to the pan, and add the breadcrumbs, pecans and thyme and cook for a further minute.
2. Pour in the vegetable stock to bring the mixture together, then set aside.
3. Cut the dates in half lengthways (don’t cut all the way through though). Take small balls of the stuffing and push inside the dates before resealing the dates by putting them back together.
4. Line a tray with baking parchment (foil will work too), put a sage leaf on top of each date, then line the dates up on the tray.
5. Brush the outside of the dates liberally with olive oil, then bake for 15-20 mins until the sage leaf is crisp. These need to be served immediately, so tuck in!
Most homes end up overrun with Christmas chocolate and sweets by Boxing Day, and rather than have a few chocolates in each box, make something fresh and exciting! This recipe can be so easily customised and a great one to get the kids involved with.
Feel free to add or remove anything depending on what you have, just make sure you keep the chocolate to bind it all together, and add something to give it crunch.
1. Use a glass bowl set over a saucepan of boiling water, making sure that the water doesn’t touch the bottoms of the bowl. You can double up on pans and bowls if you want to try a cool marbling effect with different types of chocolate.
2. Melt the chocolate, stirring until smooth, then add the peppermint flavouring to the mixture.
3. Next, line a baking tray with baking parchment or cling film wrapped around the tray. Pour about 20% of the melted chocolate on top. Crush and arrange your ingredients on top of the chocolate spaced evenly apart, and pour over the remainder of the chocolate.
4. Leave to harden in the fridge for 2-3 hours, and then to serve, just break into pieces. It’ll keep for up to a week in an airtight container.
Cranberry and brie is a very festive combination, and you get a show-stopping canapé with very little effort. Feel free to attempt your own cranberry sauce but we’ll be using our favourite store-bought brand!
These puffs can be assembled a day ahead and kept chilled in the fridge until you’re ready to bake and serve, leaving you more time to socialise and enjoy yourself.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and roll the puff pastry out on a floured surface to a 1cm thickness.
2. Cut up the pastry into 12 equal squares and press them into a 12-hole shallow cake or muffin tin.
3. Place a teaspoon of cranberry sauce followed by a cube of Brie cheese onto each piece of pastry before gently gathering the corners and pinching together.
4. Beat the egg and then brush it over the puffs before popping into the oven and baking for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and cooked through.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before carefully removing from the pan and placing onto a serving dish. Be sure to serve them warm!
We have been working with Cleaner Care for a number of years now and we have always found then to be hardworking, reliable, efficient, trustworthy, approachable and honest. Starting off cleaning our offices, we now also employ CleanerCcare across our sites, providing a service to ensure our facilities are kept clean and safe at all times.
Their attention to detail when cleaning is excellent and this is of particular importance now given the risk of COVID-19 in the workplace.
Furthermore, Cleaner Care provide a builders and sparkle clean across many of our new build and refurbished properties. The end result is fantastic and it really makes a difference to those moving into the property. I would not hesitate to recommend Cleanercare for any cleaning services for which you are considering employing there services.
Group Managing Director
Cleaner Care has held the daily cleaning contract for our four purpose built office buildings for the last 10 years.
Denise and the team are reliable, approachable and provide a professional high standard of cleanliness.
The company always deals efficiently with additional one off cleaning requirements some at short notice in a flexible manner.
I have no hesitation in recommending Cleaner Care for any cleaning services.
"We have found their services very professional and the cleaning is to a high standard.
The Client Account Manager is always on hand to manage the cleaners wherever needed and also to ensure holiday and sickness is always covered.
We are pleased with the services offered and glad we appointed them."
"Cleaner Care have been doing the changeover cleans and deep cleans at our holiday cottage since 2017.
They are totally reliable and easy to work with. We have never had any complaints about the cleanliness of the cottage from guests.
The cleaning Team always leave the cottage looking beautiful and welcoming.
Cleaner Care have also arranged carpet cleans and the occasional odd job for us as we live away from the cottage and are not there to organise them ourselves."
"Cleaner Care have provided the School with a high quality cleaning service for many years. They are always on hand to help with School functions and events and provide a reliable and professional support function.
But much more than that...they are always extremely happy and willing to go that extra mile in caring for our staff and pupil's needs; they are part of the team."
We’ve been using Cleaner Care for a number of years and it’s the best cleaning service we’ve used. The staff are lovely and friendly and our house always looks amazing after a clean.
Thank you for a great service which gives us time to enjoy the things we enjoy doing!"
"Cleaner Care Ltd have cleaned several of our premises for a number of years.
We have always found them to be reliable and helpful - always responding positively when asked to undertake extra work or attend to an emergency situation."
"Just to say a big thank you to all the staff who worked here over March. This was one of our busiest times ever with the various shows and large scale events. Your staff were professional and helpful and we could not have managed without them, they did an excellent job, sometimes under extreme circumstances."
"As a result of Covid-19 I had a property that became vacant suddenly and left in a poor state of cleanliness.
I contacted Cleaner Care who were really efficient in responding to my request, I was really impressed with their level of attention to detail and high standards.
In light of pandemic, Denise was able to organise a team who were from the same household to protect her workforce and myself.
The property was cleaned to an immaculate standard and it was also really helpful to have Cleaner Care organise a carpet cleaner too, saving me significant time.
I would absolutely recommend Cleaner Care to anyone who wants a reliable, high standard of cleaning for Domestic or Commercial purposes."